People who know me know that when confronted with a menu in a restaurant I will normally go straight for the fish dishes. This was exactly the case while on holiday in Portugal when I found these delicious skate wings. The recipe was found later from a french cookbook.
- 3 or 4 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 skate wings
- 2 shallots
- 125 gr. of butter, diced and cold
- 1 splash of white wine
- Dash. of white vinegar
- Peel onion. Peel and cut potatoes in large cube. Wash and add bouquet garni in a casserole dish with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with water. Leave to cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In a meantime, peel and finely slice shallots. Cook shallots in a saucepan until transparent and deglaze with white wine and vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat of potatoes to low heat. Add skate wing and leave to cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add diced and cold butter in your sauce. Stir quickly to get a homogeneous sauce. Sieve white butter sauce to remove shallots.
- Serve skate wings and potatoes with this delicious white butter sauce.